How to Unclog a Sink & When to Call in the Professionals
Clogged drains are certainly an annoyance, but they often turn into more significant problems if left unchecked. The professional plumbers at Mike Counsil Plumbing specialize in repairing clogged drains. But, we realize that sometimes homeowners can do the job quickly and easily on their own, without needing to call us. We’re here for you when you need us, but we also want to save you time and money when we can. Our team is also available 24/7 for plumbing emergencies, so don’t hesitate to call us. Learn more about common causes of clogged drains and what you can do about them.
Common Culprits of Clogged Drains or How to Unclog a Sink
Many plumbing jobs aren’t DIY, but some of them are easily solved. You don’t always need a drain snake, but we have one when it is necessary. Some household drain cleaner can sometimes do the trick, but not always. Check out these common culprits to find out if you can fix them yourself or you need to call our experienced professional plumbers:
- Hair – Whether you have long hair or not, it tends to bind with grease and sticky substances to clog drains. You don’t need to do anything crazy like shaving your head; just use drain guards and clear them regularly.
- Soap – Traditional bars of soap are made with grease or fats, which can leave a hard residue known as soap scum. That soap scum stains bath fittings and clogs up pipes. We don’t recommend not using soap, but what you can do is switch to soap-free washes. Mike Counsil Plumbing can pressure clean your pipes to remove traces of soap buildup.
- Dirt – Whether you’re taking a shower after being outside or washing off muddy clothes in the sink, dirt can build up in your drains and cause issues. Try shaking out your clothes outside or rinsing yourself off outdoors before taking that shower.
- Food – Many people think it’s okay to put all food waste down the sink because their garbage disposal will take care of it. That’s not the case, and some food waste should never go down the drain. Throw it away or set up a composting pile. Never pour oil or grease down the drain either. You can absorb it on a paper towel and put that in with your compost.
- Mineral Buildup – Hard water can leave soap stains on dishes or make it difficult to get your hair clean, but it can also clog your drains. Minerals build up and cause insoluble masses, which will easily block your drains. Try installing a water softener, or else you’ll need to descale and remove sediment and buildup regularly. Give us a call if your pipes and drains are no longer flowing properly.
- Toilet Paper Buildup – Using too much toilet paper can prevent your toilets from flushing and clog your drains. You can use a plunger if water can still run through your toilet when you flush it. When your toilet starts to fill without draining, it’s time to call in the professionals to fix the blockage.
- Small Objects – The only things that should go down your drain, sink, or toilet are water, toilet paper, and human waste. Everything else should be disposed of responsibly. That means thrown away, recycled, or composted. The occasional small object in your drain might be okay, but too many of them will cause problems in the long run. Our team can detect and remove foreign objects in your plumbing supply.
- Tree Roots – All it takes is a small crack in your underground pipes. Tree roots can grow inside your pipes, eventually obstructing water flow and causing damage. This issue requires professional services, including rooter service, trenchless repair, pressure jet cleaning, or excavation. Planting trees further away from your home is just about the only thing you can do about this issue.
Contact us to Unclog Your Drains
When troubleshooting a clogged drain doesn’t work, it’s time to call in the professionals. We have the experience and state-of-the-art equipment to get the job done right. Don’t ignore a clogged drain because the issue will likely continue to get worse over time. Our professional plumbers can utilize drain cleaner, drain snakes, hydro jetting, and more. We’ve been serving the South Bay area since 1994, and we pride ourselves on exceptional customer service and preparedness. Contact us today to learn more about our drain cleaning services or to schedule an appointment.