Your home’s faucets, showerheads, sinks, toilets, and other plumbing fixtures allow you to tap into the water supply for drinking, cooking, cleaning, and showering. Unfortunately, these fixtures eventually deteriorate, causing performance problems, unexpected repairs, and an old, outdated appearance. Use this guide to help you understand when and why you should replace your plumbing fixtures.
Why Do Plumbing Fixtures Wear Out?
Fixtures can fail for many reasons. Some of the most common causes include:
- Low-quality hardware: If you buy cheap plumbing fixtures, you may set yourself up for premature hardware problems.
- Improper installation: DIY jobs are prone to early failure.
- Lack of maintenance: It’s easy to neglect plumbing maintenance, but a small investment of time and effort can help your fixtures last years longer.
- Wear and tear: Even high-quality, professionally installed, properly maintained fixtures wear out eventually.
When to Replace Plumbing Fixtures
Keep an eye on your plumbing system, and repair or replace fixtures as soon as they start acting up. After all, leaky joints and fittings, clogged aerators, stiff or squeaky handles, weak toilet flush, and other issues prevent you from making the most of your plumbing system.
Like all other installations in your home, plumbing fixtures have an anticipated lifespan, after which they may no longer work effectively. Consider the average life expectancy of different fixtures to help you know when to replace them:
- Faucets: 15 to 20 years
- Showerheads: 10 to 15 years
- Sinks: 50 years
- Toilets: 50 years
- Rubber water supply and spray hoses: 3 years
- Steel braided water supply and spray hoses: 15 to 20 years
- Garbage disposals: 10 years
Benefits of Replacing Your Plumbing Fixtures
You benefit in many ways by swapping out aging plumbing fixtures for brand-new ones. Here are some examples:
- Lower water bills: Replacing older faucets, showerheads, and toilets with high-efficiency versions can save you significantly on your water bills. This helps the investment pay for itself.
- Fewer plumbing problems: Say goodbye to leaks, clogs, and other performance issues that tend to arise at the most inopportune moments. With new hardware, you won’t have to deal with urgent plumbing fixture repairs or replacements for many years to come.
- Improved functionality: Increase the comfort, convenience, and safety of your kitchen and bathroom with advanced plumbing fixtures. Some popular features include touchless faucets, massage showerheads, bidet toilet attachments, and modern undermount sinks.
- Updated appearance: Plumbing fixture styles have changed dramatically over the years. Give your kitchen or bathroom a fresh look with brushed chrome, oil-rubbed bronze, antique nickel, stainless steel, or other specialty finishes in traditional or modern designs.
Replace Your Plumbing Fixtures Today
If you’re searching for high-quality bathroom and kitchen plumbing fixtures, turn to Mike Counsil Plumbing. We supply some of the industry’s best products and install them professionally in your San Jose-area home. To ask about our selection of plumbing fixtures or schedule a visit from us, please call 408-916-1226 or contact us online today.