Does your toilet gurgle at random intervals for no apparent reason? Are you worried about using your toilet while it’s making these noises? You’re right to be concerned—a gurgling, bubbling toilet is not normal. But what exactly is behind this strange phenomenon, and what can you do about it?
Understanding the Gurgling Sound
Toilet gurgling is more than just a noisy nuisance; it’s a sign that air is trapped within the plumbing system, causing abnormal suction. This negative pressure buildup eventually releases, pushing air through the drainpipe and into the toilet bowl, causing a bubbling noise.
Air can become trapped in the sewer line if a clog forms, either in the drain system itself or your home’s vent stack. It may be a local issue that only affects one toilet or a more significant problem that even has your neighbors’ toilets gurgling. By diagnosing the source with help from a plumber, you’ll be well on your way to selecting the most appropriate solution.
Tips to Fix a Gurgling Toilet
While it’s not something to panic about, understanding the proper steps to take can save you a lot of stress. Here are the top tips to fix a gurgling, clogged toilet:
- Try plunging: Start with a good old plunger. A few quick thrusting motions might be all you need to dislodge a minor toilet clog and get rid of the gurgling.
- Snake the drain: If plunging doesn’t work, try a drain auger, also known as a sewer snake. If the clog is deep, a small snake might not reach it. You can either upgrade to a motorized auger with a longer cable or snake the lines from the sewer cleanout, a plastic, capped pipe just outside your home.
- Check and clear the vent stack: Sometimes, a blockage in the vent stack causes toilet gurgling. Inspect the vent stack on your roof and clear away any obstructions, such as leaves or bird nests. If you don’t feel comfortable traversing your roof, it’s better to leave it to a professional.
- Talk to your neighbors: If the above methods don’t work, check in with your neighbors. They might be experiencing similar problems, which could signal a more severe issue within the sewer system.
- Call a plumber: When all else fails, seeking professional plumbing service is the best option. Plumbers have the right tools and expertise to diagnose and fix gurgling toilets quickly and effectively.
Schedule Clogged Drain Service
When faced with a mysteriously gurgling toilet, having a reliable plumbing partner is crucial. That’s where Mike Counsil Plumbing steps in. With experience dating back to 1994, our family-owned company has earned local and national recognition for our exceptional customer service. Our dedicated team of plumbing technicians is ready to serve you 24/7, so you know you’re in good hands! The next time you’re dealing with a bubbling toilet, call us at 408-916-1226 to schedule the clogged drain service you need.