Many homeowners mistakenly believe that plumbing issues are limited to the colder months. But as the temperature rises outside, so does the likelihood of certain unexpected plumbing problems. Here’s a look at eight of the most common plumbing problems you may encounter this summer and tips to avoid each one.
- Overloaded washing machines: With family outings, beach trips, and general summer fun, your washing machine might be working overtime. This can lead to hose leaks and other issues. Keep on top of problems by regularly inspecting the washing machine hoses for wear and tear. Consider calling a professional plumber to install braided steel hoses for better performance.
- Clogged disposal: Summer cookouts are great fun, but they can lead to disposal clogs from food and grease. To keep your kitchen sink flowing smoothly, avoid putting cooking grease, hard substances, or stringy foods down the disposal. Run cold water for several seconds before and after running it to clear the drain. And for a fresh-smelling sink, grind up lemon peels, ice, and dish soap every so often.
- Sewer line backups: Heavy summer rain can cause sewers to become overloaded, causing the drains to back up into your home. A professional plumber can clean your drains and sewers to minimize the risk of these backups.
- Increased water usage: With children home from school, a lawn to irrigate, and outdoor water activities to enjoy, your water consumption is probably higher in the summer. To maintain manageable water bills, implement conservation practices and schedule plumbing services to check for hidden leaks.
- Sprinkler issues: Your sprinkler system is likely in full swing during the summer. Leaks and malfunctions can cause unnecessary water waste, leading to surprisingly high water bills. To avoid this scenario, routinely check for broken or leaking sprinkler heads. Then, schedule regular maintenance checks with a trusted plumbing company that offers plumbing services specific to sprinklers.
- Blocked toilets: Having more people at home for more hours of the day may increase the risk of toilet clogs. Educate your family about what they can and cannot flush, and keep a plunger handy.
- Slow drains: Washing off sand and dirt from outdoor play may result in slow drains. Rinse off outside first to minimize the debris that ends up in your shower, tub, or sink.
- Roots in the sewer system: Summer growth may allow tree roots to extend into your sewer lines, causing blockages and damage. Regular inspections can catch this problem early. Consider applying root barrier products or consult a plumbing company specializing in intrusive tree roots.
Schedule Plumbing Services in San Jose
Mike Counsil Plumbing has provided top-notch services since 1994, finding quick, cost-effective solutions for a wide range of plumbing problems. Our plumbing company has earned numerous awards and recognitions, including a superior BBB rating and positive reviews from our satisfied customers. To schedule emergency services or request more information about your plumbing needs in the South Bay area, including Mountain View, please contact us at 408-916-1226 today. We look forward to serving you!